Preparing for another semester…

One of the most challenging aspects of directing a Writing Center is deciding how to start off the academic year. Should I redecorate? Find a banner and/or a poster that captures our ethos? Or, should I instead focus on our staff? When working in a large, public institution, I think we have to direct our limited resources towards our staff…

I like to imagine that everyone in our Center (the seasoned writing consultant and the recently hired writing consultant) will not only get along but also work collaboratively to deliver the best possible service to students. And in the process, develop a deeper, intimate awareness about what it means to write. However, in a setting such as a Writing Center, especially when there is a steady stream of students and other day-to-day issues, it’s hard to really control and/or dictate this process. Consultants might be working on their own writing projects, might have homework to complete, or they simply might be tired from tutoring and want some time to themselves before their next appointments.

The challenge becomes managing the different personalities that comprise our staff, respecting each staff member’s experiences while at the same time, challenging everyone to develop their practice for their own  reasons.

So, thinking about Fall 2018 (and Spring 2019!), I want our Writing Consultants to work on…

• Norming our practices (making sure we are all, for the most part, going about “tutoring” in roughly the same way. We are the Queens College Writing Center, all students that come here (or here about us) should know what they are going to get.

• Making sure we are prepared to tutor (and that we are prepared to ask questions when we are unsure). This is hard. As a writing consultant, there is an expectation that you are an “expert” on writing so asking questions might not seem right…

• Finding ways to challenge ourselves and build our practice (tutoring is an iterative practice: we have to develop our practice alongside our students and within the discourse of Writing Center practice). I’ve heard many directors say that they tell their staff, “You have to do this because you love it… because you aren’t going to get rich tutoring!” I agree. It’s imperative to find ways to fit Writing Center work into your life somehow…

• Preparing ourselves for the mental exhaustion of tutoring (perhaps we have to make sure we have an hour before or after tutoring? or perhaps, we have to make sure that we take our breaks this semester?) One of the things I’ve seen in our Center is how some writing consultants are willing to sacrifice their bodies and their minds to help students. While I appreciate the effort, I also believe self-care is a crucial aspect of Writing Center work. Consultants need to be reminded that their well-being is tantamount.

These are just some ideas… What else do you think we should be working on as we start a new year?

1 Reply to “Preparing for another semester…”